- 1 Onion
- 50ml Light Soy Sauce
- 1tbsp Stock Syrup* (for mayo)
- 150ml Mayo
- 50ml Yuzu Juice
- 50ml Stock Syrup* (for yuzu gel)
- 1g Agar Agar
- 2 bone in Galloway Rib Eyes (900g)
- 100g Dukkah Spice Mix
- Sea Salt
*To make stock syrup boil equal quantities of sugar and water together
- To make the gel in separate pans bring the yuzu juice to the boil and the stock syrup (50ml) and agar to the boil. Boil them for 2 minutes then combine the 2 pans and boil for another 5 mins.
- Pour the liquid onto a lined tray to set and then blend and pass the gel. Store for later.
- To make the mayo combine the soy sauce, mayo base and stock syrup. Set aside for later.
- Slice the onions into wedges and char with a blow torch. Once caramelized bake them in the oven with a little bit of butter and sea salt.
- Before cooking the rib eyes make sure they are at room temperature and heavily seasoned with only salt.
- Begin by charring the fat and bone with a blowtorch to begin releasing the flavour.
- Seal either side of the rib eye in a smoke point pan then put onto a tray to rest for 2 minutes.
- While resting rub the dukkah spice mix over the steak along with some butter and then put into a pre heated oven at 180* for minimum 12 minutes
- Get all components together and serve making the steak pride of place on the plate with the onions on top and lots of little dots of both the gel and mayo.
Recipe by Galloway Beef Chef Ambassador Fraser Cameron. Fraser demonstrated this recipe at the Galloway Country Fair 2019. Fraser is Sous Chef at Annandale Distillery and at The Globe Inn in Dumfries.