For the Brisket
- 10KG Galloway Beef Brisket
- 5 Large White Onions
- 12 Cloves Garlic
- 100g Rock Salt
- Half a handful of Cloves
- 100g Smoked Paprika
- Half a handful of Ground Cumin
- 600ml White Wine Vinegar
- 400g Brown Sugar
- 1L Apple Juice
- 80g Chilli Harissa Paste
For the Smoked Paprika Mayo
- 2tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 50ml Mayo
- 1 tbs Stock Syrup (equal quantities of sugar and water boiled together)
1 loaf Sourdough
1 Block of Butter
200g Braised Red Cabbage
- Mix all ingredients (excluding cabbage, bread, butter and mayo ingredients) and pour over the brisket in a large roasting tin. Cover with foil and cook at 120* for 4 hours.
- Add 1L of water and cook at 150* for 4 hours.
- Strain off the liquid and reduce to make a sauce while the beef is pulled with 2 forks.
- Add sauce back through beef and store.
- In a frying pan melt the butter and add slices of sourdough to roast.
- In 2 separate pans slowly warm the red cabbage and brisket.
- While everything is cooking combine the smoked paprika, stock syrup and mayo base to make the mayonnaise.
- Put a slice of butter roasted sourdough onto the plate and spread some of the smoked paprika mayo onto it. Add the red cabbage and then the brisket on top.
- Garnish with some edible flowers or green leaves and serve.
Recipe by Galloway Beef Chef Ambassador Fraser Cameron. Fraser demonstrated this recipe at the Galloway Country Fair 2019. Fraser is Sous Chef at Annandale Distillery and at The Globe Inn in Dumfries.